Monday 26 November 2012

EDUCATION: Trivium

It's been a long week... well, since the last post anyhoo. But do think we've made some headway, decisions made, fog now clearing..

I was fortunate enough to spend Saturday morning doing some further home ed research whilst S did reading eggs!! Yes, reading eggs! This child of mine had flatly refused to do them as she 'don't like them' about a month ago, then out of the blue requested to 'do some'. Holy smoke!! So, in line with the autonomous/child led approach we duly signed her up. She's done one lesson every day thus far.. slightly flabbergasted. 

And so, with all my looking around online I stumbled across many a suggestion to read "The well-trained mind". Initially I thought it would be one of those pushy American make-your-child-a-genius types of approaches, I mean 'Baby Einstein'... seriously?? However, whilst it does have a slight undertone of this, it's basically trivium (what a great word) teaching. It promotes that through laying the foundations of reading that the child can then study anything! In my eyes, thus aiding autonomous learning. Huzzah! I'm still working my way through the book, but regardless of whether it unfolds like a Quarantino movie, I think that in these early years our focus will be reading, handwriting and basic math. The remainder of topics should be offshoots from this, hopefully giving birth to a wonderful, wholesome home education. I should add that the backbone of the book seems to be history and repetition, studying the same historical period every four years but each time in further depth.


Hence, the planning has commenced!


No comments:

Post a Comment